- ABOUT US
California Transparency Act
InterDesign Corporation’s Disclosure -
Under the California Transparency in Supply Chains Act of 2010
Effective January 1, 2012, the California Transparency in Supply Chains Act of 2010 requires manufacturers and retailers doing business in California to disclose efforts to eradicate slavery and human trafficking from its direct supply chain. By requiring manufacturers and retailers to disclose their efforts to address these issues, this law hopes to increase the amount of information made available to consumers to allow them to make better, more informed choices regarding the products they buy and the companies they choose to support. The following is InterDesign Corporation’s required disclosure under the Act:
1. Verification. Although quality and price are important criteria in selecting vendors, InterDesign evaluates our vendors on many other criteria, such as business history, operations, sustainability, standards regarding working conditions, and compliance with applicable laws. InterDesign seeks to use only suppliers which InterDesign believes act in a responsible manner, including having no involvement with slavery, human trafficking, forced labor or child labor in violation of international standards. We examine relevant information about each supplier on an annual basis to evaluate risks and vulnerability to slavery or human trafficking in the production of supplier goods. We have been a member of the Supplier Ethical Data Exchange since 2014. Through our involvement with SEDEX, we are better able to understand and monitor risks associated with labor recruitment practices, as well as the use of specific labor intermediaries in our supply chain.
2. Auditing. InterDesign supply chain management works closely with our suppliers. Our standard Supplier Agreement gives us the right to inspect our suppliers’ facilities, which provide any materials or components related to our products. This allows us the opportunity to observe conditions and discuss with our supplies any practices that improve our products, as well as protect our supply chain integrity.
3. Certification Requirements. InterDesign contractually requires our direct suppliers to certify that they comply with InterDesign standards with respect to slavery and human trafficking. The InterDesign standards require our suppliers to certify that: all work performed for it is voluntary, their workers shall be free to leave upon reasonable notice, they will not use forced, bonded or indentured labor or involuntary prison labor and they are not involved in the recruitment, abduction, transport, harboring, transfer, sale, or receipt of persons through force, coercion, fraud or deception. Further, InterDesign requires its suppliers to verify that the above statements are true with respect to producers and providers of goods, services and materials used by our suppliers in any materials or components that they sell to InterDesign.
4. Internal Accountability. InterDesign is committed to ethical and socially responsible conduct in the workplace. All of our employees must adhere to our Code of Business Ethics and Conduct, which requires compliance with all laws (including laws related to slavery and human trafficking), and corporate policies and practices, Further, our employees are responsible for notifying management when they believe a violation of law, our Code or company policy has occurred. Violations may result in disciplinary action up to discharge.
5. Procurement Training. InterDesign provides information to its team members responsible for supply chain management about the principles underlining its standards relating to slavery and human trafficking, and provides information on how to identify and respond to supply chain issues, such as slavery and human trafficking.
We work diligently in the above areas so that our business relationships provide assurance of social accountability in our supply chain. We will continue to work hard to choose reputable suppliers who are committed to ethical standards and business practices compatible with those of InterDesign.